Top Five Mistakes: Do you have to use your builder’s painter?
Through our 15 years as Auckland Master Painters we have seen homeowners making the same avoidable painting mistakes again and again. These mistakes cost homeowners financially and can cause significant stress.
We have put together a special report, available here, to look at the top five mistakes people make when having their homes painted, and how to avoid making them.
Mistake 3: Engaging your builder’s painter
Contrary to popular belief not only do you not have to engage your builder’s sub-trades, but it may not make managing your project easier and less stressful if you do.
We have had clients call us in when they have been unhappy with the interior or exterior paint work done by the painter supplied by their builder. We have then had to work to remedy the situation. It’s disappointing when these issues could have easily been prevented by using a painting expert from the get-go.
Most builders are good at what they do, which is building. Many try to take on project management, but only a minority do it well. A professional builder should be able to work well with any other contractors, and a professional painter should be able to work well with any builder.
Wall Treats recently worked with Lindesay Construction and found them excellent at project management. This was due to an effective segregation of duties, allowing the team to excel at their respective roles, with dedicated site managers and project managers.
Wall Treats is not Lindesay Construction’s default painter, however when our mutual client insisted on engaging us the consistent communication between professionals resulted in a partnership that has worked well for all involved.
The specifiers we work with say that if a problem arises on a project, it is more often than not with the painting. There are several factors that contribute to this:
- Because painting is the final visual layer, it is immediately obvious if it isn’t quite right - whereas other trades’ work is usually hidden behind tiles or GIB board.
- Patience is usually waning by the painting stage, so jobs can get rushed, especially if the project has already taken longer than planned.
- Painting can highlight flaws that were previously not obvious. For example, we have had situations where it was discovered that the kitchen cabinetry colour was wrong – this wasn’t picked up until the paint work was done and was found not to match.
- If the plaster finish is inadequate, the finished paint work will highlight this.
- At the end of a project people can be a bit fed up, and issues with paint colours can be the final straw. By this stage, it is likely that tiles and flooring materials have been ordered and it’s too late to exchange or return them.
- While the builder may be reputable, they may not necessarily work with sub-trades of the same calibre. Availability and cost pressures can cloud the selection of sub-trades.
So, what can you do can you ensure that you receive the optimal paint finish on your building or renovation project?
It is important to remember that you don’t have to work with your builder’s painter for your building or renovation project – instead you can engage your own preferred painter. Engaging your preferred painter may mean more coordination on your part; however, this is a much more positive use of your energy than the angst of receiving a sub-optimal paint finish!
Wall Treats is renowned for our project management prowess. We enjoy working with you and your builder to ensure you get the high standard of work you expect.
“We found the painting experience excellent. As a business, Wall Treats offers the whole package. They have Ashley who is super organised, professional, timely and very thoughtful and then they have Daniel who is a great painter. He is meticulous, systematic and gets it done efficiently – but without cutting any corners.”
I think if you are looking for a painter that is upfront, honest, proactive and thoughtful, and will do a great quality paint job then you can’t go past Wall Treats.”
Mr Thegn Ladefoged, Homeowner
If you want your home painted by award winning Auckland Master Painters who consistently provide excellent workmanship and superior customer service, get in touch for a quote.
Want tips and inspiration? Sign up for our bi-monthly E-News here.